Summer Home Security & Safety Tips
With summer in full swing and plenty of warm days ahead—many of us are happy to kick back, relax and enjoy the sunshine. And while this time of year gives plenty of reasons to unwind, home security and safety is something to never be lazy about.
According to seasonal data from the U.S Department of Justice, crime rates increase significantly during the summer months; with the highest number of home burglaries reported form June-September. With that in mind, there are plenty of simple measures homeowners can take to ensure a happy, healthy, and enjoyable season at home for whole family. Check out these important summer home security and safety tips to learn more:
Secure Your Outdoor Areas
When it comes to summer home security and safety, protection inside is a given. However, the yard and other open spaces around your home’s exterior are just as much (if not more) of a target for burglars once summer rolls around.
- Implement outdoor contacts. While lawn mowers, grills, and bulky furniture are easiest to store out back or the shed, these spots are also a gold mine for burglars seeking valuable tools and appliances. Slomin’s Outdoor Contacts help secure these spaces and notify your system when any shed door, window, or gate has been breached.
- Secure & automate your garage. Many burglars choose to enter the home from the garage, making open ones an invitation for thieves looking for a quick score and easy entry. Slomin’s Garage Door Opener and Tilt Sensors let you control garage access via the MySlomin’s App on your smartphone, and detect whenever the door’s been opened or closed.
- Get it on camera. With school closed and more people out and about, your home’s entry points see increased traffic over the summer when crime rates are already high. Luckily, Slomin’s Doorbell Camera and Outdoor Dome Camera let you to monitor your outdoor property from your phone and proactively helps protect from burglars, avoid theft, and deter crime before it happens.
Fireworks & False Alarms
Summertime and fireworks go hand-in-hand. And while a sight to behind, the loud explosions and vibrations can also trigger the home’s audio glass break detectors and window contacts to falsely set off your alarm system.
If you’re away from home and know there will be fireworks nearby, consider bypassing these features individually for the evening. That way, you’ll avoid the hassle of a false alarm without disarming your system completely. Need assistance? Call Slomin’s 24/7 Customer Service at 1-800-252-7663.
Summer Fire Safety
Each year, fire-related incidents account for thousands of hospital visits and millions in property damage. Since the best way to stop a fire is to prevent it from happening in the first place, consider these tips to reduce your risk this summer:
- Check your detectors. One of the best house fire prevention methods is to regularly check that your smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and temperature sensors are working properly. Replace any dead batteries and run frequent tests to make sure of this—especially before traveling.
- Safe campfires. Whether you’re on a camping trip or in the backyard, never build fires near dried-up leaves or grass where it can easily spread. Instead, use a firepit to contain your fire and never leave it unattended.
- Smart grilling. Be sure to only barbeque outdoors, monitor your cook times, and keep the kids/pets at a safe distance. Always keep a fire extinguisher handy, and if you’re a new homeowner and haven’t gotten around to buying one yet, a full water bucket and hose nearby works, too.
Protect Your Pets
Our pets are part of the family and deserve the best from us as their parents. With that in mind, give your furry friends a safe environment that keeps their comfort, security and safety in mind during the hotter months.
- Control home temperatures remotely. Slomin’s Smart Thermostat lets you adjust home temperatures from anywhere, so if a sudden heat wave strikes during the day while you’re gone, you can rest assured the AC is running and your pets are cool and comfortable.
- Use smart door locks for neighbors or pet sitters. Smart Door Locks from Slomin’s give pet sitters easy access to the home via unique codes created for different users. Grant entry codes for up to 30 contacts, or simply unlock and lock the door as-needed directly from your smartphone. No key, no problem!
- Keep an eye on your pets while away. Slomin’s Indoor Camera and wide-angle Pan and Tilt Camera showcase your home’s live activity in HD resolution, so you can see your pets clearly right from the MySlomin’s App. These cameras also feature two-way audio so you can hear your pet barking, meowing, and even talk to them directly from your phone.
Keep a Safe Home on Vacation
A worry-free vacation can’t happen without knowing your home and loved ones are safe. Before heading out
of town this summer—especially for long vacations—secure your peace of mind with the following:
- Let the neighbors know. Informing your neighbors of travel arrangements and requesting they keep an eye on things while you’re gone is an excellent (and free!) summer home security and safety method.
- Automate your lights. Leaving the lights on at night gives the impression that people are inside; a known deterrent for potential intruders seeking a vacant house. Use our Smart In-Wall Switches to set timers to your lights while away to give passer-byers the impression someone’s home—even when there isn’t.
- Implement professional monitoring. No one can be home 24/7. But thanks to Slomin’s Professional Monitoring Services, you’ll rest assured knowing a trained expert is always keeping tabs on your property. Our central station operates around-the-clock so that in the event of an emergency, our team can respond quickly and contact local services for you, even if you’re not there.
- Trim the hedges. Before you leave, give your hedges a fresh cut near any entryways and windows. Low-growth shrubs in any home’s landscaping help eliminate possible hiding spots for trespassers.
Choose Slomin’s for Total Home Security
No matter the season, we never lose focus on keeping the safety of your home our top priority. See first-hand why thousands of homeowners in your area trust Slomin’s to keep their home and family safe. Request more information below or give us a call at 1-866-756-6467.