PRE-VACATION SAFETY & SECURITY CHECKLIST
A vacation is supposed to be a time to sit back, relax and forget about all of the things that stress you out on a daily basis. It’s supposed to be a time where you can drift away into “paradise” and let loose for a few days, or weeks (if you’re fortunate enough). But neither of those things are possible if you know that your house and your family aren’t so secure. Find out a few ways to have a worry-free vacation with these seven security tips!
1. Start with preventative maintenance. If no one knows you’re going away, they won’t know when your home will be empty. Keep everyone on a need-to-know basis. Talk to your family, friends you trust, and maybe one or two neighbors if you’re close — giving the police a heads up isn’t a bad idea either.
2. Don’t let your mail pile up, this is one of the many telltale signs no one is home. When you talk to your neighbor, ask if they can hold on to your mail until you get back, or maybe a relative can stop by every (other) day to bring it inside.
3. Unplug major appliances or plug them into a surge protector. No one wants to come home from vacation to a house with no power and/or fried appliances. Save yourself (and your wallet) the hassle!
4. Program everything! With Slomin’s, home automation has never been easier. Whether you’re down the street or across the country (or in another country), if you’re connected to Wi-Fi, you’re connected to your home. With the MySlomins App you can control your lights, the temperature inside your home, your security system (arming/disarming), and you can even lock or unlock your doors!
5. Depending upon how long your vacation is, your lawn might start to show how long you’ve been gone. Schedule for a landscaper to stop by, or ask a friend if they would be able to keep up with the lawn mowing until you get back.
6. Hide the spare keys! If you have any lying around in false rocks/sprinkler heads or under the welcome mat, now is the time to keep them indoors (or hand them over to anyone looking after your house).
7. LOCK IT UP! Sometimes we forget about the simplest of things when we’re trying to make sure everything is perfect. Maybe a few windows are unlocked due to frequent use or you keep the door in your garage unlocked; these habits are okay when you’re home every day, but before going away, check around the house top to bottom so you can be 100% sure you’re secure.
Home Monitoring Systems on Long Island
Did you know Slomin’s is giving away a FREE indoor video camera on top of our free security system? View live video while you’re away, or watch the clips when you have some down time. Call 1-800-ALARM-ME to learn more – we’ll be happy to get you setup as soon as possible, so you can truly enjoy your next vacation!