Frequently asked questions
Who do I call if I need assistance with my alarm system?
Please call our office at 1-800-ALARM-ME if you are concerned with the technician’s status. We would be happy to assist you.
How long does an installation take?
Installations of our basic system can take anywhere between 4 and 6 hours depending on the type of house you have.
What if I can’t stay for the entire installation?
All of our installers are licensed, background checked, drug tested and thoroughly trained. You can trust them to treat your house as they would their own and respect your belongings.
I have a dog. Why do I need an alarm system?
A Slomin’s home security system can protect your dog when you aren’t home. Burglars are ruthless and are often willing to poison or shoot your dog in order to gain access to your home. In the event of a fire, Slomin’s fire protection can also save your dog because of our immediate response to your signal. If your neighbors wait until they see smoke to call the police, it will likely be too late to save your home.
I have a gun. Why do I need an alarm system?
It is not uncommon for burglars to carry guns as well, leaving you to face a potentially bloody showdown if your gun does not deter him or her. Unless your gun is easily accessible, you will also need to move away from the intruder to retrieve it, putting your family and possessions at risk. If you are not home, the intruder will have full access to your belongings and may even stumble across your gun. A home security system with central monitoring significantly minimizes the risk in each of these circumstances.
I didn’t know I signed up for a 5-year contract.
Whether with Slomin’s or any other company or individual, it is important to make sure you read and understand the agreement into which you are entering when you sign a contract. Slomin’s offers a $1,300 home security system for free to reward customers who sign up for five years of central monitoring. If you break your end of the contract, Slomin’s has no way of compensating for the loss on equipment. If you no longer want to protect your home with central monitoring, you can pay a fee equal to the remaining cost on your contract.
What if I move?
Slomin’s services many different locations throughout the United States and we have devised several different options for you. The first option is to bring the equipment from your existing home to your new home and continue the agreement with Slomin’s to monitor the system. If you are not capable of installing the system in your new home, Slomin’s will send a trained technician to your home to install the system for you for a minimal fee. The second option is to leave the system behind for the new homeowner to use and for $395 Slomin’s will install a brand new system and continue the agreement to monitor the system. The final option is to transfer the agreement to the new owner and install a new system in your new home for free with a new agreement. In some cases there may be an additional fee that is required depending upon the new municipality that you live in.
My smoke detectors are beeping or chirping.
Slomin's smoke detectors DO NOT "beep or chirp". Perhaps you have an old battery powered smoke detector that is not part of your Slomin's alarm system and its battery is running low. If you do have a wireless Slomin's smoke detector, when the battery is running low, you will get a low battery light on the keypad, not a "beeping or chirping" sound.
I have a low battery display on my keypad.
A low battery display on your keypad indicates that the battery in your alarm panel is low. There are several possible reasons why this may be:
- There is no power to your alarm panel and the system is running on battery back-up with a low battery. See “I have no power to the system” if this is the case.
- You had a previous power failure and your battery is recharging. Your battery needs a full 24 hour period to recharge.
- Your battery is old and needs to be replaced. If this is the case, you can purchase a replacement battery from Slomin’s for $25. We will mail it to you with installation instructions. You can also request a service call and have a Slomin’s technician replace it. If you choose this option, you will be charged for time and materials. Finally, you can call for the battery’s specifications and purchase a replacement battery from a retail store.
- My pets are setting off the motion detector.
The average pet alley is set for four (4) feet up from the floor. If you need a higher pet alley, then a service call by a Slomin's technician is required.
My display says there is no power to the system.
- Is there power in the house? If not, the system will continue to operate on the battery back up until the battery is drained. Once power is restored, the battery will recharge automatically.
- If there is power to the house but the keypad indicates there is no power to the system, check to see if the alarm panel transformer is unplugged. If it is unplugged, plug it in.
- If the alarm panel transformer is plugged in, check to see if there is power to the outlet. To test the transformer outlet, plug another appliance into the outlet and see if it works.
- If the outlet has no power, check the circuit breaker or fuse that the outlet is connected to. If the breaker or fuse is defective, you will need an electrician. If the breaker or fuse is good, then you will need a Slomin’s technician to service it.
- If the outlet has power, you will need to schedule a service call from a Slomin’s technician.