1. Start with preventative maintenance: if no one knows you’re going away, they won’t know when your home will be empty. Keep everyone on a need-to-know basis. Talk to your family, friends you trust, and maybe one or two neighbors if you’re close; giving the police a heads up isn’t a bad idea either.
2. Don’t let your mail pile up, this is one of the telltale signs that no one is home. When you talk to your neighbor, ask if they can hold on to your mail until you get back, or maybe your sister can stop by every (other) day and bring it inside.
3. Unplug any major appliances or have them plugged into a surge protector. No one wants to come home from vacation to a house with no power/fried appliances. Save yourself (and your wallet) the hassle!
4. Program everything! With Slomin’s home automation has never been easier. Whether you’re down the street or across the country (or in another country), if you’re connected to Wi-Fi, you’re connected to your home. With the MySlomins app you can control your lights, the temperature, your security system (arming/disarming), and you can even lock or unlock your front door!
5. Depending upon how long your vacation is, your lawn might start to show how long you’ve been gone. Schedule for a landscaper to stop by, or ask a friend if they would be able to keep up with the lawn mowing until you get back.
6. Hide the spare keys! If you have any lying around in false rocks/sprinkler heads or under the welcome mat, now is the time to keep them indoors (or hand them over to anyone looking after your house).
7. LOCK IT UP! Sometimes we forget about the simplest of things when we’re trying to make sure everything is perfect. Maybe a few windows are unlocked due to frequent use or you keep the door in your garage unlocked; these habits are okay when you’re home every day, but before going away check around the house top to bottom so you can be 100% sure you’re secure.
BONUS: Slomin’s is giving away a FREE indoor video camera on top of our already free security system. View live video while you’re away, or watch the clips when you have some down time. Call 1-800-ALARM-ME to learn more – we’ll be happy to get you setup as soon as possible!